Bury trip a success!
The road trip to Bury St Edmunds was everything I dreamed it would be. It was a shame that there were no pigs and not really very much at all at West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village but I don't regret our visit. Rah, you must let me have their reply if you get one from your email so I can put it on the blog!
The day started with a scenic route to Bury while singing along to some quality tunes in Mr Blue Sky. The Anglo-Saxon Village was very small but we did watch a rather informative 7 minute video documentary presentation which Nick filmed for us to enjoy again and again and maybe bootleg on eBay to make back our entrance fees.
The huts had fires in and they were very smokey so you couldn't even really get in them. We stayed for as long as felt polite and then Simon did a magnificant wheel spin out of the car park. Classic!
When arriving in Bury we hot-footed it straight to Harriet's tea room as we had worked up a right hunger. Luckily we were led straight to a table and did not have to queue. Hurrah! We had tea and sandwiches and more tea and chips and more tea and cake. I had 4 pots of tea in total which I think could be a record. It was delicious.
Full of tea and food we waddled around Bury and had a nose in the window of the Nutshell - the smallest pub in Britain - and found a bar/restaurant with a nice window decoration of some butternut squash in a vase. Why?
By this time the girls were struggling to keep the tea in their bladders so we set about finding a toilet. We looked around the cathedral trying to find one but no luck. Enjoyed some choir practice though and the boys enjoyed the stained glass. Eventually found the toilet and then had a frolic in the Abbey Gardens. We found ducks and a bench and Rah got her muffs out as it started to get a little chilly.
We left Bury about 5pm and made out way back to MB. On arrival Karen spent quite a bit of time opening all the wonderful presents that Nick and Rah had bought her while Simon struggled to stay awake. Karen was very grateful to the Headlands for their generosity and for the time taken to customise not one but two birthday cards.
We watched back the video of the day and relived the excitement of it all. Due to NIck's rather unusual camera work Karen felt a bit pukey but enjoyed much of the audio.
Planet Wok provided a top notch takeaway and left everyone stuffed but happy and everyone managed some singstar classics before the end of the evening.
Thanks everyone. It was ace. Please add your comments and favourite/ least favourite parts of the day. And of course fill in any important bits I may have missed with this rushed summary of the day.
The day started with a scenic route to Bury while singing along to some quality tunes in Mr Blue Sky. The Anglo-Saxon Village was very small but we did watch a rather informative 7 minute video documentary presentation which Nick filmed for us to enjoy again and again and maybe bootleg on eBay to make back our entrance fees.
The huts had fires in and they were very smokey so you couldn't even really get in them. We stayed for as long as felt polite and then Simon did a magnificant wheel spin out of the car park. Classic!
When arriving in Bury we hot-footed it straight to Harriet's tea room as we had worked up a right hunger. Luckily we were led straight to a table and did not have to queue. Hurrah! We had tea and sandwiches and more tea and chips and more tea and cake. I had 4 pots of tea in total which I think could be a record. It was delicious.
Full of tea and food we waddled around Bury and had a nose in the window of the Nutshell - the smallest pub in Britain - and found a bar/restaurant with a nice window decoration of some butternut squash in a vase. Why?
By this time the girls were struggling to keep the tea in their bladders so we set about finding a toilet. We looked around the cathedral trying to find one but no luck. Enjoyed some choir practice though and the boys enjoyed the stained glass. Eventually found the toilet and then had a frolic in the Abbey Gardens. We found ducks and a bench and Rah got her muffs out as it started to get a little chilly.
We left Bury about 5pm and made out way back to MB. On arrival Karen spent quite a bit of time opening all the wonderful presents that Nick and Rah had bought her while Simon struggled to stay awake. Karen was very grateful to the Headlands for their generosity and for the time taken to customise not one but two birthday cards.
We watched back the video of the day and relived the excitement of it all. Due to NIck's rather unusual camera work Karen felt a bit pukey but enjoyed much of the audio.
Planet Wok provided a top notch takeaway and left everyone stuffed but happy and everyone managed some singstar classics before the end of the evening.
Thanks everyone. It was ace. Please add your comments and favourite/ least favourite parts of the day. And of course fill in any important bits I may have missed with this rushed summary of the day.


5 Comments:
At 10:36 AM,
Simes said…
My favourite bits were singing along to Karen's fantastic Bury playlist in Mr Blue Sky, in particular woowooing to Sympathy for the Devil and subsequent songs; and admiring the naked lady in the stained glass at St Edmundsbury Cathedral.
I had a great day and thought we all looked beautiful in Nick's wonky video.
At 1:45 AM,
Princess Sarah said…
Hello!
Here is my review of Cowgirls's review:
It was good. We had a nice time. She is right about everything. I liked the sing-along to the Bury Birthday Play List. The Anglo-Saxon village was a bit rubbish. The best bit was thinking of wildlife and weather records (can we list some here, lest we forget?). The huts were too smoky for me. There were no pigs and I was sad. I liked it when Simes said "later losers" to the non-pigs in the form of a magnificent wheel spin. Everyone thought we were tossers. Harriets is indeed lovely and they make good tea and great brie and roasted vegatable with honey mustard ciabattas. We were there a very long time. I liked it that there was posh moisuriser in the bogs. I liked the butternut squash in vases. It didn't have to have a reason. The Cathedral was very big. There were no toilets in the Cathedral and Nick was too wussy to go in the shop and ask. I liked looking at the ducks. And the duck ramps. I liked getting my muffs out. I liked the second Bury Birthday sing along play list event. I liked watching Karen open her presents. She had a nice smile. Nick's video made her ill. But Planet Wok made her feel a bit better. Bad old Nick's wonky video. Good old Planet Wok. I did A Little Time Singstar with Simes and we rocked. Sort of. I did the boy's part too and everyone was dead impressed. Karen is very special and well deserving of such a lovely Bury Birthday.
It was Bury Bury good!
The end.
At 1:56 AM,
Martha said…
I forgot to add that while Rah and Simon were singing a horrible Beautiful South song I did some colouring in and did a nice pot of flowers.
At 2:00 AM,
Princess Sarah said…
It was a very pretty pot of flowers, and very colourful. At least you didn't talk all the way through our song. That would have been very f***ing rude of you! No-one with manners would do that sort of thing. Can you imagine! How rude.
At 12:45 AM,
Pobol Pobotrol said…
My favourite bit was seeing Karen's face when she was happy and feeling special. Especially when she had tea. I liked the smoky huts, but I didn't like the educational bits.
Harriet's Tea Room was a triumph, and everything was really lovely, except the cake was too expensive and small.
I liked riding around in Mr Bluesky. He rocks. Karen Rocks. Everybody rocks. Anglo-saxons suck (Except for Beowulf who was cool).
Post a Comment
<< Home